"Professional dental exams and dental cleanings are to your teeth what tune ups are to your car."
A thorough dental exam will be performed at your initial dental visit by your dentist. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): A must for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay using special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns among others